State Law Background
Arkansas does not:
- Conduct its own background checks for firearm sales, but instead relies on the FBI;
- Require a background check prior to the transfer of a firearm between private parties;
- Prohibit the transfer or possession of assault weapons, 50 caliber rifles or large capacity ammunition magazines;
- License firearm owners;
- Require the registration of firearms;
- Limit the number of firearms that may be purchased at one time;
- Impose a waiting period on firearm purchases;
- Regulate unsafe handguns;
- Require firearm owners to report lost or stolen firearms to law enforcement; or
- Significantly regulate ammunition sales.
Local governments in Arkansas generally lack authority to regulate firearms or ammunition, and the state requires local law enforcement to issue a concealed handgun license to any applicant who meets certain basic qualifications.
Arkansas Firearms Laws
For details about specific firearms laws in Arkansas, choose a topic below, or see all of the firearms laws in this state.