Posted on January 2, 2012
Mississippi does not:
- Require a background check prior to the transfer of a firearm between private parties;
- Prohibit the transfer or possession of assault weapons, 50 caliber rifles, or large capacity ammunition magazines;
- License or significantly regulate firearms dealers;
- Limit the number of firearms that may be purchased at one time;
- Regulate unsafe handguns;
- Afford local law enforcement discretion in issuing concealed carry licenses;
- Require the licensing of gun owners; or
- Impose registration requirements on firearms.
Local governments in Mississippi generally lack authority to regulate firearms and ammunition, and local law enforcement must issue a concealed handgun permit to any applicant who meets basic qualifications.
In 2010, Mississippi had the 4th highest number of gun deaths per capita among the states. Mississippi highest rate of crime gun exports among the states in 2009–meaning that crime guns originally sold in Mississippi were recovered after being used in crimes in other states at the highest rate among the states.
Mississippi Firearms Laws
For details about specific firearms laws in Mississippi, choose a topic below, or see all of the firearms laws in this state.