Posted on January 1, 2015
Among other things, New Jersey:
- Requires permits for the purchase of any handgun, as well as a separate permit for persons purchasing long guns, both requiring a background check prior to issuance;
- Provides law enforcement discretion when issuing permits to carry concealed weapons;
- Prohibits the purchase or possession of a firearm by persons convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence offenses, and by persons subject to protective orders;
- Requires the licensing of all firearms dealers and their employees;
- Limits the number of handguns that may be purchased to one per month;
- Imposes a 7-day waiting period prior to the physical transfer of a handgun;
- Will require the sale of personalized handguns once such technology is available for retail sale;
- Prohibits the possession and transfer of assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines;
- Requires firearm owners to report the loss or theft of their firearms; and
- Requires all firearms dealers and ammunition sellers to maintain records of all acquisitions and dispositions of firearms and ammunition.
New Jersey does not, however:
- Prohibit the transfer or possession of 50 caliber rifles;
- Prohibit the open carrying of firearms in public (lawful if the possessor has a permit); or
- Regulate unsafe handguns.
Local governments in New Jersey have broad authority to regulate firearms and ammunition.
In 2013, New Jersey had the 5th lowest number of gun deaths per capita among the states. New Jersey had the 3rd lowest rate of crime gun exports among the states in 2009–meaning that crime guns originally sold in New Jersey were recovered after being used in crimes in other states at the 3rd lowest rate among the states. New Jersey imports far more crime guns than it exports.
We are currently in the process of updating this page to reflect laws enacted in 2015. In the meantime, please contact the Law Center directly for questions about new 2015 laws.
New Jersey Firearms Laws
For details about specific firearms laws in New Jersey, choose a topic below, or see all of the firearms laws in this state.