Posted on Friday, December 21st, 2012
It’s time. Join us, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and more than 750 mayors and 750,000 grassroots supporters to demand that President Obama and Congress step forward with a plan to end gun violence.
Our efforts cannot bring back the 20 innocent children murdered in Newtown, CT — or the 34 people murdered with guns every day in America. But we can prevent future tragedies by passing common sense legislation that will:
- Require a criminal background check for every gun sold in America
- Ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines
- Make gun trafficking a federal crime, including real penalties for “straw purchasers”
- Demand that your members of Congress and the president support these legislative priorities.
What you can do to help right now:
1. Sign up
Knowledge is power. Guarantee that you don’t miss your chance to take the next steps needed to prevent another tragedy. Sign up here: http://smartgunlaws.org/sign-up/
2. Pitch in
We need you WITH US. Become a member, and become part of the solution. Even a small donation can ensure we have the resources to enable our leaders to make decisions with the best information available on America’s gun laws. Donate here: http://bit.ly/lawcenterdonate
3. Spread the word about the Law Center
Help us educate and engage more people in our shared mission to save lives. We can achieve more with you in our corner.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @smartgunlaws, and ask others to as well.
- Send folks to our website, smartgunlaws.org, where there is a wealth of information about America’s gun laws and real solutions to end this epidemic.
4. Demand A Plan
As a part of our partnership with Mayor’s Against Illegal Guns, we are asking you to join us in calling on elected leaders in Washington to take immediate, concrete steps to reduce gun violence in America. Visit their website to sign the petition: demandaplan.org