Today, the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence and Americans for Responsible Solutions are proud to announce a bold new effort with seven top law firms, as well as the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law, to fight gun violence. This new initiative, the Firearms Accountability Counsel Taskforce (FACT), will be devoted to pursuing legal strategies to address America’s dire gun violence crisis and hold the gun industry responsible for unfair business practices that endanger public safety.
The law firms have committed hundreds of lawyers, thousands of hours, and millions of dollars to this effort, which will operate in tight coordination with the Law Center’s team of gun law experts. To date, FACT is comprised of:
- Arnold & Porter
- Covington & Burling
- Hogan Lovells
- Munger Tolles & Olson
- O’Melveny & Myers
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison
FACT’s areas of focus will include:
- Congressional restrictions on firearms-related information access
- Misleading gun industry public statements, advertising, and marketing
- Special immunity enjoyed by gun manufacturers and dealers
- Laws that prevent local officials from keeping communities safe from gun violence
- Dangerous, gun lobby-backed laws that make ordinary conflicts potentially deadly
FACT’s strategy represents a turning point for the gun violence prevention movement. By expanding the fight beyond Congress, which has failed to take meaningful action to save the more than 30,000 lives lost every year to gun violence, and into the justice system, FACT will be able to push back against the special treatment the gun industry has enjoyed for decades. FACT’s strategy builds off the success of pro bono efforts by the private bar to commit leadership, support, and resources to ensure a more just, fair, equal, and safe society.